Korten's establishment experience and credentials include:
- MBA and PhD degrees from the Stanford University Graduate School of Business.
- Set up the College of Business Administration at Haile Sellassie University in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in mid-1960s as a Fulbright Lecturer and Assistant Dean.
- Served five years as Visiting Associate Professor and Member of the Faculty, Harvard Business School.
- Harvard Business School advisor, Academic Director, and Director of Research, Central American Management Institute (INCAE), Managua Nicaragua—Latin America's premier graduate business school.
- Institute Associate, Harvard Institute for International Development, Harvard University
- Lecturer on Population Studies and member of the faculty, Harvard School of Public Health.
- Visiting professor at the Asian Institute of Management.
- Captain in the US Air Force teaching on the faculty of the Special Air Warfare School, leading a special study team in Air Force Headquarters Command, and serving as military aide to the civilian head of Behavioral and Social Science Research in the Office of the Secretary of Defense and the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA).
- Ford Foundation project specialist for population program management based in Manila, Philippines.
- Coordinator, Management Institutes Working Group on Social Development Management, an initiative of the Rockefeller Foundation.
- Asia Regional Advisor on Development Management for the US Agency for International Development based on Jakarta, Indonesia to work with AID missions on project development and management in Indonesia, Philippines, Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, and Pakistan.